Metroland

a song; indie; key of D

Hamtramck is old and gray
Royal Oak is getting paid
from chemicals my father made
long before my mother gave
a son for him to teach his charms;
to set all the car alarms;
to cover up his ugly scar
he got when lava burned his arm

Adrian has little birds
and girls who know the Spanish words
for "baby," "love," and things they learned
at seventeen while giving birth
they dress their daughters up in pink
with Dora, Blue, and rosaries
And then they taught them how to sing
For their daddies' sweet release

and i can't see through
the walls that I put up for you
but I can't hide from all the memories

i had a dream of Woodward's noise
thought Midtown, Highland Park, and Troy
with Ferndale as the home for boys
whose fathers were left unemployed
i drive my car down -23
75 and M-14
to understand why i am free
and try to find a place for me

and i can't see through
the walls that I put up for you
but I can't hide from all the memories
and i cannot say
that Metroland makes me ashamed
because it has unreal realities

No comments:

Post a Comment