FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO REJECT MY POEMS [Prelude]

PRELUDE

in lustrous city, one was i
and claimed i to have found my voice
once lost in keys strewn across time
from 1926 until 1962*

in those years, somehow
before i even breathed
i asked those Muses to keep this
boy a poet, to keep this poet
his poet

still begging, through tears of loss
and jealousy
in years of shaking
i felt the sting of triumph
from someone else's hand

that night -
lying on her bed
with welling eyes she asked me
what was my purpose
after i asked her
what was the point

the Muses sang that day -
or at least they pounded drums of war

i told her four:
LOVE
BEUATY
ATTENTION
I AM i

then from Ken i remembered
swiftly
so many others
and from those who took my poems,
wrought them until their letters
spilled off of my page,
i dreamed dearly of how
i would show them
that light
i have seen
so many times before

no thoughts here,
just writings

to abandon that thing which i
spent what seems like eternity
building
nurturing
coddling until he
could walk on his own
in order to make something
stronger, forte
was too much
to resist

so i told the Muses
and my Muse
that i would tackle them on
for myself
for them
for the sake of my poems

i would take their eyes
and make them look upon what this
little poet could do
even without their dollars
and their little slips of paper
with my name in script font on them

a poem that is a poem but is not a poem

a poem that is a magnum opum
before i am truly dead

a poem that take the world
with its eight little hands
and rings its words
until all of its letters
fall on the ground

now Muses & Muse,
take these hands
see them alone
see them as one
see them as purpose
as all

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO REJECT MY POEMS:
here.



*E.E. Cummings's first book of poetry, Tulips & Chimneys, was published in 1926. Cummings died in 1962.

No comments:

Post a Comment