FOR MY MOTHER

on her birthday

in days i remember you bathed me
(as one would their son)
in scalding waters
and with your hand (rings and all - the scratches
from a ruby and your lost diamond
still fresh on my back)
your thick fingers tracing over me
their nails picking off
mane-like hairs from my shoulders

those hands held mine as we treaded
upon broken concrete next to cars
and strangers who you told me
were no one friendly
i remember you scared me so many times
but now i think it was so that
i would truly cherish those who don't

i placed you high in Christ's eyes
with my poems -
i placed you deep down below the strains
of our carmel skin,
our nightshade course hair,
and our deep deep eyes
with my poems as well

in my poems you were never "Mom,"
and to those i love (other than you)
you are "my Mother,"

for i believe that the "my"
is implied
when i speak to you

and "Mother" is far too much a pedestal
for you

you much prefer getting your hands dirty

No comments:

Post a Comment