FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO REJECT MY POEMS [Part VIII]

VIII
I am i

Eliot told me that to be personal
was to bleed on a page;
to make a poem an entrapping for
those who wish to steal away from itall

Fritz told me to never assume
that the "I" is one
because when you assume,
the one gets stared at in awe

Gillian told me that to be personal
was the ultimate form -
but to be the "I"
is something we cannot risk

Lolita told me that to be personal
was more than okay
and she will ask me how or why
a poem came to be an "i"

so now i will say it

i remember once i drew elephants
on my love's back
i told her "this one is you
and this one is me"

i am not an elephant
and nor is she
but i am an elephant
and so is she:

someone told me once
that elephants are the only creatures
(other than man)
that can feel love of some kind

so maybe we are elephants
because we can feel love
of some kind
but we are not elephants

if i were an elephant
an elephant would be "i"

I am i
whenever a solitary i is present
remember that a solitary me
is on that page

For Eliot:
let my i be your escape
think that you want to live
this life that i see

through rose-colored eyes,
drenched in sunlight
and bathed in moonlight
where i can once again love

For Fritz: you were told never to assume
because when you assume
the poet gets jammed into
a life you want him to live

but don't you want me to live this life?

the live of love and beauty?
a life of incurable wonder?
a life where i can look down at children's
smiling face and smile myself?

i want to live that life
i
want to live
that life

For Gilian: remember when you told me
that Plath couldn't be Plath on that page
even though there is proof that Plath is that Plath
on that page?

i will give you all of the proof that i can
that i
am the i
on that page

For Lolita: why I am i
is because i
am such
a small thing

but a small thing
with such large great wishings
dreamings, lovings,
and things desired

when you reject my poems,
you are rejecting i

i
will be good
i
will remain
i
will conquer
i
will be the one you look to when the darkness comes
and you need a little light

and all
i
can tell you
is that i

am i

No comments:

Post a Comment