Tenderloin

i sat in the oven waiting for you to turn the dial
165 pounds at 7 minutes a pound = so many minutes

i assumed that you will baste me
since you didn't brine me before
sliding me into the oven, thick with heat
and the air wavy, like concrete before
a long walk down to the pool in summer

in this haze of warmth and heat
my flesh began to crisp
and you began to lick your lips,
open your mouth,
waiting
for that first taste of my skin

i wonder how you will pick out the bones
or if you will wrap me in a foil blanket
and let me rest for an hour
before you try to carve me
with your fingers

i'm still moist on the outside
and i will be ripped apart in your mouth,
dipped in a thick creamy sauce
and placed on the tip of your tongue

where i will just fall apart

No comments:

Post a Comment