FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO REJECT MY POEMS [Part II]

II
ATTENTION

take my poems and let them live
but not as teeth marks on your flesh-
stinging, widening your sad eyes as my verbs
make you cringe and my nouns send shivers
pulsing through your chilling bones

strangely of death i write but strangely more
not my own
i have seen my funeral before:
my mother weeping and my father dead
and three little boys and a little girl wishing
for something more from their fallen uncle than
"you are not my own"
but that is for my own mind to ponder
none of your concern

i have spent nights stooping hardly
from far too much of too much
and the hair of the dog which bit me
because i bit him first
but that is for my own stomach to churn over
none of your concern

to you i will not shift thoughts to my veiny wrists
or my neck too far bony
or anything that seems to steal my breath from the depths
of my lungs or take my blood
in its pulsing smoothness
because if i wished solely to pull a Plath
or a thing of the like it is
none of your concern

still my harks are subtle next to those
which speak of such things
or take pride in what vulgarness one can put
on a page
what one can do to make another spill out sounds
and cries of disgust

the self is one these pages
and vulgar is not my self
i wish my poems to be whispers in the corner of the brain
where you can draw upon them in times
of something good&pure
or notsogood&notsopure

my self wants to keep your eyes on the poem
for the poem
for my self
but not my self that steeps in darkness
and hides behind functions of the unholy body
or death by means of death of the self
or the pills or liquors or smokes that make so many
write nothings
(for what are things if not from the self unaltered?
nothings)

let my poems grab you and let them hold you
but not for a think gaudy and loveless
let my tears be tears
my body be a body
my soul a soul
my poem a poem

not a cry
not a seizing thing

not for you

No comments:

Post a Comment